Picked up two original stereoview cards of the 1906 quake from Ebay. One by the H.C. White Co. showing the view up Market Street from the top of the Ferry Bldg. The other one is from the Keystone View Co. showing refugees camping at Fort Mason.These are original photographic prints mounted on cardboard. Stereoview photographs are taken by a camera with two lenses, which takes two separate photos about 2.5" apart, which is approximately the distance between our eyes. The photos appear identical , but in fact are both slightly different. When viewed with a stereoviewer, the two views assimilate into one, and the brain percieves the image in 3D. Stereographs were very popular at the turn of the century. 3 1/2" x 7" sepia silver gelatin.
The corner of Chestnut and Leavenworth St. marked the NW end of the fire line. Neighbors fought the fire with buckets and the fire stopped at Chestnut St. sparing the property to the North of Chestnut. The buildings in these photos still stand today. 2430 Leavenworth was the home of photographer JB Monaco who took these 1906 photographs.
Damage from the 1906 earthquake on Union Street, San Francisco. Twisted cable car tracks between Steiner and Pierce Streets.
Lotta's Fountain was a gift to the city of San Francisco in 1875 by Lotta Crabtree, wealthy actress and entertainer. It survived the earthquake and fire in 1906 and on a crystal clear Christmas Eve in 1910, at the corner of Market and Kearny, famous Italian opera singer Luisa Tetrazzini climbed a stage platform in a sparkling white gown, surrounded by a throng of an estimated two to three-hundred thousand San Franciscans, and serenaded the city she loved.
Original 1906 postcard showing ruins of 1906 San Francisco earthquake and fire. The Mechanics Monument (Donahue Labor Statue) still stands today. I was ticked to find graffiti on the statue and the homeless sleeping around it.
Stereoview card of Telegraph Hill as seen from Nob Hill. I saw this image in the book "Earthquake Days" and found an original card on Ebay. These are original photographic prints mounted on cardboard. Stereoview photographs are taken by a camera with two lenses, which takes two separate photos about 2.5" apart, which is approximately the distance between our eyes. The photos appear identical , but in fact are both slightly different. When viewed with a stereoviewer, the two views assimilate into one, and the brain percieves the image in 3D. Stereographs (and magic lantern slide shows) were very popular at the turn of the century. 3 1/2" x 7" , H.C.White Co. 1906.
Magic lantern slide showing the destruction of City Hall. 3 1/4" x 4" Underwood & Underwood Co. 1906. Another Ebay find. Basically, a photographic lantern slide is a positive print of a photograph on a glass slide. Lantern slides were “matted” by a piece of opaque paper laid on the slide, which both masked out edges or parts of the image not wanted in the frame. Finally, a second slide of glass was laid atop the glass slide with the positive print and these two pieces of glass were bound firmly together by pasting a strip of paper around the edges. The sandwiched glass plates held the matte or mask in place and also protected the positive photographic print from dust and scratches.The final slide was then ready to be viewed in a lantern slide projector.
Olema is a small town in West Marin County, North of San Francisco. It straddles the San Andreas fault line. The West side sits on the Pacific tectonic plate and the East side the North American plate. In 1906 the San Andreas fault ruptured North and South a distance of 296 miles creating dramatic earth movement in Olema. The Skinner Ranch red barn still stands today along with a section of fence which was displaced 18 feet by the great quake. The fault line passes under the Southeast corner of the barn. When the fault snapped in 1906 the barn and it's foundation shifted Northwest 15 feet dragging the Southeast corner with it.
The mansion of railroad baron A.E.Towne stood on Nob Hill in San Francisco from the late 1800's until it was destroyed by the earthquake and fire of 1906. The only thing left standing was it's white marble portico and brick facade. The portico still stands today in Golden Gate Park as a symbol of the perserverence of San Francisco.
© Joseph Greco