"Clff House and Seal Rocks, San Francisco, Cal. U.S.A." Original 1901 stereoview card. The elaborate Cliff House and Seal Rocks as seen from Sutro Gardens, San Francisco, 1901. Built in 1896 by Adolf Sutro, the Cliff House was a seven story Victorian Chateau (called by some "the Gingerbread Palace") below his estate on the bluffs of Sutro Heights overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The Cliff House survived the 1906 earthquake with little damage but burned to the ground in 1907. Original prints (Keystone View Company).
© Joseph Greco