San Francisco view South on Van Ness Avenue (at Green St.) after the 1906 earthquake and before the fire approached. Photo by JB Monaco. Water mains are destroyed; St. Brigid Church in background. The East side of Van Ness Ave (left) was dynamited a block deep to create a fire break and finally stop the fire from spreading to the Western Addition and Cow Hollow.
San Francisco view down Kearny St. at Broadway after the 1906 earthquake and fire. A block down from Broadway at the intersection of Kearny and Columbus Ave. (at that time it was called Montgomery Ave.) is the Sentinel (Flatiron) Bldg. which was under construction at the time of the quake. It is now called Columbus Tower and is owned by director Francis Ford Coppola.
© Joseph Greco