The elaborate Cliff House and Seal Rocks, San Francisco, Ca., c.1900. Built in 1896 by Adolf Sutro, the Cliff House was a seven story Victorian Chateau (called by some "the Gingerbread Palace") below his estate on the bluffs of Sutro Heights overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The Cliff House survived the 1906 earthquake with little damage but burned to the ground in 1907. The Cliff House Restaurant has gone through many incarnations and modern remodels. It has presently been restored to it's 1909 version.
San Francisco's Italian North Beach district was the location of several early Italian immigrant photography studios in the early 1900's. The JB Monaco, Vitalini Fotografia and Pisa Foto (founded by Gino and Carlo Sbrana) studios were all located near the intersection of Columbus and Broadway. The buildings still exist today and in the case of the Monaco and Pisa studios the original skylights still exist. In the early days of still photography portrait studios (like artist studios) were located on the top floor of buildings in order to take advantage of the natural skylight. Example
© Joseph Greco